Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 96


Thoughts: Today I googled animal slaughter and found photographs that made my body knot, feel sick and disgusted with how human beings could do these things. I saw chickens, cows and seals, and realized I had no idea this type of killing was going on. I grew up eating meat, cows, lamb, chicken, and while I was eating it off my plate I never thought how they were killed...and I guess it was easier not too...

WOOL, LEATHER AND FUR by Carolyn Wagner who challenged me to being vegan for a week...!

Caroyln Wagner...“But your not eating anything.” Leather and fur are pretty obvious. The animal is slaughtered and its skin is removed. Sometimes this isn’t always the case. In an effort to save time the animal may just be purely skinned alive and thrown into a pile to suffer an agonizing death. Sometimes the cows are still alive when thrown into the scalding hot hair removal tank, so that you can enjoy your leather products. Often cat and dog skins from Asia are mislabeled and sold around the world. You will often not even know whose skin you are wearing. But what about wool... The sheep don’t die for it. Once again there is no happy farm that sheep retire to once their wool producing days are over. They are slaughtered and labeled as mutton. The sheep bred in Australia are not suited to our climate and when their wool is long they suffer heat exhaustion and when they are shawn they suffer in the cold at night. Millions of sheep die every year due to their breeding not being suited to our climate. Which also brings about the need for mulesing. This is where the skin around the backside is cut off without anesthetic to stop flies laying their eggs in the sheep. Sheerers are also paid per sheep so often as they try to increase speed to increase profit the wellbeing of the sheep is sacrificed and cut and bruised they are sent back out to the farm. Also every year many sheep are crammed onto ships as part of live export and every year about 20, 000 sheep die during this time. There are many animal friendly alternatives to the clothing that you buy.

Challenges: I am eating a lot of chocolate balls for energy and fufilment and that is the main thing I am eating lately and it's a substitute for my body craving others minerals and vitamins. Time to eat less chocolate balls and more fruits and vegetables. What do vegans mostly eat?

Triumphs: Being vegan for a week is easier than I thought it would be.

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast: Chocolate balls.

Lunch: 2 pears. Two apples.

Dinner: Salad with green lettuce and baby spinach and lemon and avocado.

Dessert: Chocolate bals.

Snacks: Chocolate balls.

Exercise: Run on the beach.

269 Days To Go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment