Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 95


Thoughts: KANGAROO

The first time I ever ate kangaroo was on an indigenous school excursion to an outback location where we learnt from an aboriginal man about bush tucker and eating from the earth and how to cook a kangaroo tail in coals under the ground. Earth lover beauty queen Caroyn Wagner who is also a vegan talks about the animals I grew up with...Kangaroos!!!! "So some environmentalists have decided that Kangaroos are a “greener” alternative to cattle. It’s very niave to think that the cattle industry will ever give way to this so if the kangaroo meat industry picks up we will just have both of them slaughtering animals. Needless to say who really wants to be eating one of our Aussie icons. I know I sure don’t. Nearly 7 million kangaroos will be brutally slaughtered this year with their joeys torn from their pouches and stomped on clubbed to death or just left to die from the cold and starvation. They are a useless by product of this industry. Declaring that roos are pests and vermin are just a way for the industry to justify this killing. There are a number of species already bordering along the brink of being endangered. They have recommended changing 20% of your meat intake to kangaroo meat. There are only about 24 million kangaroos in Australia. Each roo produces 12kg of meat. Aussies eat 112kgs of meat every year. There are 20.1million Australians even ignoring the exported roos and just using that only 10% of our consumption is changed to roo meat we would as a country consume the entire population of roos in a year and three months. With none left to reproduce as the joeys are simply discarded so the next generation has no chance for survival. The late Steve Irwin said “it’s embarrassing for Australia that we eat our own wildlife… I’m here to tell you it’s not right… Simply do not buy, use or eat Kangaroo products.”

Challenges: I feel like eating chicken on my vegan week. It's kind of like I have this rebelious side that whenever it thinks Oh I can't have this, then all I want is "it"!'That's why before this Earth Diet I constantly thought "I can't have chocolate" and so all I wanted was chocolate. What I resisted persisted! So I'm getting from Carolyn's blogs that it's not about what you can and can't eat, it's about making a choice, Carolyn freely chooses to be a vegan, and creating an empowering context to go with it.

Triumphs: Wow I did not know Steve Irwin had said that about eating our wildlife. It does make sense.

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast: Nectarine. Chocolate balls. Beetroot, apple, carrot, ginger, celery juice. Organic cherries and green grapes.

Lunch: Salad with green lettuce leafs and baby spinach with avocado and lemon. A green apple. A nectarine.

Dinner: A salad with green lettuce leafs and baby spinach with avocado and lemon.

Dessert: a Pear.

Snacks: no snacks.

Exercise: Run on the beach.

269 Days To Go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment