Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 50



Thoughts: I have news that I am excited about and news I'm not so excited about....I'm not so excited that I am leaving India in about half and hour!!! AND I am excited that I am coming back to India in September! Wooooo! So while I was in Rishikesh I met with an absolutely amazing man called Sudhir who is an Indian man who funds a school (Arohan School) for orphans and impoverished children! Out of his own money and accepting donations Sudhir has created a school to children whose parents cannot afford to send them to school! 10 years ago Sudhir was making 26 rupee a day (50cents) so he went to Europe for 3 months and worked with a dream in goal. When he came back to India Sudhir converted his money and was able to start his very first business. And today he owns hotels, a massage center, a yoga house and this school! I visited the school (when I asked Sudhir about his school he said "It's not my school, it's our school) and was so inspired by what he is doing and the impact he is having on providing education for these children (The school is very practicle, the kids learn yoga, how to grow their own food, they learn to read and write, they learn english, to paint and draw) so I offered to come back in September for one month and create a team of extraordinary people to build an add on of the school, a sustainable school using waste like rubber tyres, cans and bottles. We will also be volunteering at the school teaching the kids sports, and music, gardening, sustainability simple living, drawing, and they will be helping build the add on school!


Kids playing at the school!


Sudhir and I

I will be organizing discounted group flights from Australia to India (If you are flying from another part of the world let me know) and accomodation will start from $4 per night to $6 per night. You can choose the amount of time that you would like to spend in India and on the school, either one week or one month. A documentary crew from Dehli will be filming us creating the school, and will be aired in India and intended for Australia.

Who: You! A group of extraordinary people who want to make a difference in the world by having education available to impoverished Indian children!
What: Building a sustainable school out of waste materials etc rubber tyres, cans and bottles. Educating the children in Yoga, gardening, sport, art, music, english, reading and writing.
Where: Laxman Jhula (Rishikesh) at the bottom of the Himalaya's in India!!!
When: September. You can choose to stay 1 week or 1 month.
How: Let me know if you are up for the experience of a lifetime!!!
Cost: Accomodation in Laxman Jhula at the Krishna Ganga Homestay right on the riverfront starts from $4-6 a night. A huge meal costs less than $1 per day. You could easily live off $3 a day for food. Flights from Australia to Dehli. I will be organizing group discounted flights. Transport from Dehli to Laxman Jhula also organizing group discounts with Vicky who is my friend and amazing tour guide!

The view from the hotel you will be staying at! Beautiful right on the river :)



A painting on the school :)

If you are ever in India, doesn't matter where you are going contact Vicky...he will take you anywhere you want to go! And for the cheapest price too :) He took me from Dehli to Laxman Jhula, to Agra and the Taj Mahal. He can go with you somewhere for a few days on a trip across India or if you want to go shopping for certain things he can do day trips or even single trips. Send him an email vickytouristservice@gmail.com or call him 9958368135 or add him on my facebook Rajshthantourwith Victor Victour (you may want to copy and paste that, its a challenging one to remember!haha!). Best to go with a friend of a friend I reckon so your not taken to random places so they can make money or try rip you off.

Vicky took me to the sugar cane factory! If you are visiting India hit him up for sure! vickytouristservice@gmail.com

Earth Diet totally doable for the month in September in India!!!

Sudhir and I at the school.

Challenges: My poop maker has slowed down from all the rice. When I come back in September I will bring my juicer so I can juice beetroot, ginger, and carrot to keep things moving in the bowel area ;)

Triumphs: When I create something that is bigger than me, like building a sustainable school in India, food issues seem to disapear. I look back at the times I was so consumed with food, planning my day around eating, planning my next binge (in secret of course), and I must have been so bored!

What I ate today:

Breakfast: Apple and orange.

Lunch: Dahl and rice and vegetables and chapati.

Dinner: Rice with curry spices and cauliflower.

Dessert: no dessert.

Snacks: no snacks.

Exercise: walking around India on my last day.

315 Days to go!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing I am so in for it even if I can only come for a week. It sounds amazing. You're awesome.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete