Monday, September 27, 2010
Thoughts: Death by Sugar.
This article was written by a beautiful friend of mine Elisha Yarrington who writes a blog Mind Body Spirit!
Sugar is by far one of the most addictive substances.
Yet it is commonly added to nearly 90% of processed and packaged food items.
It promotes cancer cells.
Triggers weight gain.
Promotes early signs of ageing.
Evidence shows that sugar is a major factor causing chronic illness (let alone obesity). DEATH BY SUGAR may not be an overstatement.
There is a vast sea of research suggesting the deadly effects of sugar in our westerm diets. Science has now shown us, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that sugar in your food, is taking a devastating toll on your health.
Sadly our government and the FDA allows sugar to be loaded into your soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks, and hidden in almost all processed foods. To tomato sauce, vegemite, bread, cheese and toothpaste!
And now most infant formula has the sugar equivalent of one can of Coca-Cola, so babies are being metabolically poisoned from day one if taking formula.
(Some of the this information was gathered from Dr Robert H.Lustig from the Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism- i strongly sugget you watched his presentation).
I highly recommend watching the above video. If i were to sit here and right everything i know about sugar (fructose) and explain in scientific detail what happens to your body when you consumer sugar, this post would be more like a essay.
So instead... read these SIMPLE dot points about sugar, and what it does to YOU. Even if you only remember one of them, you may think twice next time you eat processed packaged food.. Remember knowledge is power.. Ignorance is bliss, we are evolving and growing into more intelligent, conscious being's so be OPEN to information that comes to you.. Read it. Analyze it. and Do your own research!
1. Sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defenses against infectious disease
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body: causes chromium and copper deficiencies and interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
3. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline, hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in total cholesterol, triglycerides and bad cholesterol and a decrease in good cholesterol.
5. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function.
6. Sugar feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, biliary tract, lung, gallbladder and stomach.
7. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose and can cause reactive hypoglycemia.
8. Sugar can weaken your eyesight
9. Sugar can cause many problems with the gastrointestinal tract including: an acidic digestive tract, indigestion, malabsorption in patients with functional bowel disease, increased risk of Crohn's disease, and ulceration colitis.
10. Sugar can cause premature aging. In fact, the single most important factor that accelerates aging is insulin, which is triggered by sugar. 1
11. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
12. Sugar can cause your saliva to become acidic, tooth decay, and periodontal disease.
13. Sugar contributes to obesity.
14. Sugar can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, and multiple sclerosis.
15. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections)
16. Sugar can cause gallstones.
17. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
18. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
19. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
20. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.[
21. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
22. Sugar can cause a decrease in your insulin sensitivity thereby causing an abnormally high insulin levels and eventually diabetes.
23. Sugar can lower your Vitamin E levels.
24. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
25. Sugar can interfere with your absorption of protein.
26. Sugar can impair the structure of your DNA.
27. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.
28. In intensive care units, limiting sugar saves lives.
29. Sugar may induce cell death.
30. In juvenile rehabilitation centers, when children were put on low sugar diets, there was a 44 percent drop in antisocial behavior.
The Earth Diet is sugar free :)
To read more by Elisha visit here.
Quotes: Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Zen Wisdom
What I Ate Today:
Meal 1: A beet, celery, ginger, carrot and garlic juice.
Meal 2: Blueberry Kiwi Buckwheat Pancakes with Raspberry Sauce! Created with cashews, oats, buckwheat flour, water, raspberries, kiwi fruit, blueberries, orange juice, and honey!
Meal 3: 2 nectarines.
Meal 4: An avocado.
Meal 5: Chocolate Mud Balls. Created with cocao, agave syrup, brazil nuts, almonds, coconut oil and avocado!
Meal 6: Orange Beef Ginger Stir Fry. Created with orange juice, ginger, garlic, chilli, steak, olive oil, vegetables, honey and sesame seeds.
Recipe: The recipes for Blueberry Kiwi Buckwheat Pancakes with Raspberry Sauce, Chocolate Mud Balls and Orange Beef Ginger Stir Fry are available free on The Earth Diet website www.TheEarthDiet.Org
Exercise: Stretching and walking :)
43 days to go!!!