Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 244



Thoughts: There’s not much you can do with $2. In fact, you can’t even buy a beer, a burger, or a bus ticket. Shockingly, the 1.4 billion people currently living below the Extreme Poverty Line survive on this small amount every day.

Internationally, the Extreme Poverty Line is defined as US$1.25 a day – the equivalent of $2 in Australia. 1.4 billion people in our world live below this line –lacking the basic choices and opportunities that most Australians take for granted.

By living on $2 a day, you’ll help Australians understand the obstacles faced by those currently living in extreme poverty.

Nick Dale is taking the challenge from 2nd-6th August, and raise money for life-changing education programs. He is requesting other fellow beings take part and reach out as well...



For a while now, just about everytime I sit down to indulge in a big meal of delicious, healthy food of my own choosing, I am compelled to think how lucky I am, and that in other parts of the world what I am eating would be beyond those people's imagination. I am eating food they could only dream of and I have the luxury of choosing to eat whatever I feel like, whenever I want and how much I want! As I'm about to fork into my eggs benedict, I cant help but think how unbalanced this all is. Why should I get to eat like this and take it for granted while millions of people are sick and gaunt from hunger and are lucky to get a bowl of rice for the day? These are my fellow human beings. As I warm my belly with nourishment, they are in suffering.

I figure I could go on enjoying my life without doing anything about it, but do I want to do that?

Its time to commit to something for once in my life that is beyond my own little world

This August I will be feeding myself with just $2 a day to raise awareness of the challenges faced by people living in extreme poverty, and to support life-changing education programs.

I would love your support! Please click on this link to visit my fundraising page to find out more about the project I'm fundraising for, and what i'll be giving up.

It would also be great to get a group together and start up a team fundraising page!

Anyone interested in this, let me know. Strength in numbers I say!

I would also like to create a project of some kind to help promote this campaign, such as a documentary, or short film on the topic. Or photography/writing project, something creative. I know i have loads of creative genuis friends out there so what do you think guys?

Please help me spread the word about this great initiative.

Thank you very much.

You can visit my fundraising page at
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/nick__dale

Any ideas, feel free to contribute and get back to me! If you wanna take up the challenge too, just click on the website and start up a page! Its easy! Or if you just would like to donate, click on my page above and you can donate anything you like! It all helps to a worthy cause and goes towards making a difference!

Warm hugs! - Nick Dale



Your support can help the following projects:

A Poverty Education Program in Australian schools
The Global Poverty Project is working with the Oaktree Foundation to make sure Australian students have the knowledge and resources they need to lead the movement to end extreme poverty, and usher in a new era in global poverty policy.
In the next 12 months we want to speak to 50,000 students around the country - to ignite the grassroots movement that will improve the lives of 1.4 billion people.

Open a school in remote Papua New Guinea
Yangis is a community in the mountains of Papua New Guinea that is so isolated it is a 3 day walk to the nearest road. The Oaktree Foundation are supporting the community to re-build their school which hasn’t been in operation for 15 years.
Sign up to help train the teachers, refurbish the school building, get great teaching resources and provide everything necessary to give the kids of Yangis an incredible education.

To sign up for Live Below The Line, go to http://livebelowtheline.com/sign-up/

For more information, visit their website at livebelowtheline.com

For direct news from the NSW Live Below The Line team, join our facebook or twitter pages at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4727423&id=650381446#!/group.php?gid=131614226854534&ref=ts

and http://twitter.com/belowthelineNSW



Challenges: Google poverty. I read that over 24000 children die every day around the world from poverty.

Triumphs: I realize I have it so easy when I compare where I am in the world to where they are. I turn on the tap and water come out. I have a brush to brush my hair. I have 4 super markets all within 10 minutes on my bike. I have a purse. I have money in my purse.

What I Ate Today:

Food fest 1: Cherries!

Food fest 2: Chocolate Balls! Ingredients: Almonds, brazil nuts, cocao, water and agave syrup. Healthy, yummy, chocolate!!!

Food fest 3: 5 beautiful nectarines! One of them was absolutely the perfect nectarine! My idea of a perfect nectarine is firm yet soft flesh, sweet all the way to the seed!

Food fest 4: Spanish Beans and Rice

Recipe: Recipe for Chocolate Balls and Spanish Beans and Rice is on The Earth Diet website www.theearthdiet.org

Exercise: Stretching on my bed, acting/playing exercises, yoga breathing, bike riding :)

121 days to go!!!

Visit: www.theearthdiet.org

No comments:

Post a Comment