Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 35



Thoughts: I never really thought about it before, but I went to the supermarket and thought, hangon a minute, almost every fresh fruit and vegtable is available all year round. And then I go to the markets they don't always have everything, and I'm thinking ohh why can't I find coconut anywhere at the market, or great watermelon, or rockmelon. So I did some research and of course...!!!...not all fruits and vegetables are in season all year round! Totally makes sense and totally common sense right?! So uuuhhh that's why cherries taste better in the summer, and the strawberries in spring! Fruits and vegetables are always cheaper when they are in season too!

So I did some research on what is in season in November and here it is:

Apples
Artichokes
avocado
beetroot
bok choy
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
carrots
celery
chard
chestnuts
cranberries
daikon
fennel
guava
kiwi
kumquat
lemons
orange
pears
persimmons
pomegranate
potato
quince
rutabaga
squash, winter
sunchoke
turnips
yams

Herbs: basil, chervil, coriander, marjoram, mint, oregano, sage, tarragon, thyme

Seafood: Atlantic salmon, coral trout, flathead, kingfish, flounder, King George whiting, mussels, ocean trout, prawns, redfish, scallops.

If you are able to buy a fruit or vegetable when it is not officially in season then it is "forced" to grow in artificial conditions, and are thus available year-round.

If you want to be sure you are getting in season whole foods shop at your organic store. They will only stock the fruits and veggies that are in season and are organic!

Challenges: I like to eat strawberries and cherries all year round! Hehehaaaaa

Triumphs: Today my world expanded because I learnt something new...triumph!...about the seasonal fruit and vegetables! I love learning something new about anything, especially healthy once a day because it literally expands my world ;)

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast: Goji berries with macadamia nuts and walnuts, and a beetroot, carrot, celery, ginger, green apple juice.

Lunch: Brown rice and steamed vegetables left over from last nights dinner.

Dinner: homemade chocolate balls (cocao powder, dark agave syrup, whole raw hazeluts, water, hazelnut meal)

Dessert: hmmm did I have dessert for dinner???!!! And it's all good, there are no rules!

Snacks: chocolate balls!!! a nectarine, goji berries, almonds, macadamia nuts and walnuts.

Recipe: CHOCOLATE BALL RECIPE! I a lot of my blogs...check previous!

Exercise: Walking around Surfers Paradise in the beautiful sunshine ;)

331 days to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment