Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Thoughts: White bread is dead!
Why is the color of white bread so white when the flour taken from wheat is not?
It’s because the flour used to make white bread is chemically bleached, just like you bleach your clothes. So when you are eating white bread, you are also eating residual chemical bleach. Flour mills use different chemical bleaches, all of which are pretty bad. Here are a few of them: oxide of nitrogen, chlorine, chloride, nitrosyl and benzoyl peroxide mixed with various chemical salts.
One bleaching agent, chloride oxide, combined with whatever proteins are still left in the flour, produces alloxan. Alloxon is a poison and has been used to produce diabetes in laboratory animals. Chlorine oxide destroys the vital wheat germ oil. It will also shorten the flour’s shelf life and nurture insects.
Besides, in the process of making flour white, half of the good unsaturated fatty acids, that are high in food value, are lost in the milling process alone, and virtually all the vitamin E is lost with the removal of wheat germ and bran. As a result, the remaining flour in the white bread you buy, contains only poor quality proteins and fattening starch.
So why is flour so bad?
Highly processed white flour or wheat flour is missing the two most nutritious and fiber-rich parts of the seed: the outside bran layer and the germ (embryo). Flour contains high proportion of starches, which are complex carbohydrates also known as polysaccharides. Leavening agents are used with some flours, especially those with significant gluten content, to produce lighter and softer baked products by embedding small gas bubbles. Flour has been refined and processed. A diet of refined foods leaves many people malnourished, constipated, enervated and vulnerable to chronic illness.
The more refined foods a person eats, the more insulin must be produced to manage it. Insulin promotes the storage of fat, making way for rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels, which can lead to heart disease. Over time, the pancreas gets so overworked that insulin production grinds to a halt, and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or diabetes sets in. Either way, the body is getting little or no fuel from the food you eat and tries to convert muscle and fat into energy.
So ditch the white bread all together and opt for whole wheats and whole grains. I use buckwheat as an alternative to flour! This morning I made buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries! yes pancakes are part of the Earth Diet! Woooohooo! (recipe below)
Here's why buckwheat is so cool and is the new "flour"
1. Buckwheat is energizing and nutritious
2. Contains no gluten
3. Buckwheat is available throughout the year and can be served as an alternative to rice or made into porridge.
4. It is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens.
5. A Grain That's Good for Your Cardiovascular System
6. Better Blood Sugar Control and A Lowered Risk of Diabetes
7. Helps Prevent Gallstones
8. Low in saturated fats
9. rich in potassium and phosphorus
check out World Healthiest Foods (www.whfoods.com) you can search most foods and find out their nutritional benifits.
And here's what my beautiful earth friend and one of the healthiest people I know, Elisha Yarrington wrote about yesterdays blog.
"Soy the abominable bean"
Eating Soy Foods Will Destroy Your Thyroid and leach calcium from your bones.
Soy, due to its phytic acid, causes calcium to be stripped from the body, and impairs absorption of all minerals. Soy suppresses the thyroid gland, leading to serious problems.
Soy contributes to joint pain, and often merely discontinuing all soy and drinking lots of water to flush out the poisons will make the pain vanish. The highly-touted phytoestrogens in soy have been linked to increased cancer, infertility, leukaemia and endocrine disruption.
It is child abuse to feed a baby soy formula.
A baby fed soy will receive, through the phytoestrogens, the equivalent of approximately five birth control pills per day! The damage is incalculable. The British government is considering legislation to control the sale of soy-based baby formula - when will the rest of the world take notice?
Soy – another cautionary tale. Here is an interview from a neuro surgeon, he is brilliant! Dr. Blaylock: The worst of the things they're doing are the soy extracts. Soybeans, naturally, have one of the highest glutamate levels of any of the plant products. When you hydrolyze it, you release the glutamate, and the soy protein isolates. The glutamate levels are higher than a lot of what you'll find in MSG products, yet the vegetarians are just eating it like it's the healthiest thing in the world. There was a 25-year study done, which looked at people who consumed the most soy products, and they followed them for 25 years and did serial CT scans. They found out that the people who consumed the most soybean products had the greatest incidence of dementia and brain atrophy.
These people are destroying their nervous system, and I talked to a lot of them who complained of severe migraine headaches. I said, "Get off the soy," and they do, and that migraine headache goes away. In addition, you have very high manganese levels, which is toxic to the very same part of the brain that produces Parkinson's. You've got a mixture of toxins with soy products, and the people think they are eating a healthy, nutritious product. It's destroying their nervous system, as well as other organs.
Mike: In this whole debate of soy versus cow's milk, we find misinformation in both camps. Dr. Blaylock: I wouldn't recommend either one. If you're obsessed with milk, use goat's milk. It's closer to human milk, but I wouldn't recommend cow's milk or soy milk. I think people ought to avoid soy products as if they were poison.
Confirmation of the potency of soy products as a hormonal manipulator has come from a study in the July issue of the Journal Human Reproduction. This showed that men who consume a mere HALF SERVE of soy products per day halved their sperm count.
This confirms both animal studies on soy’s role in infertility, and studies from the Soy Industry itself, promoting thr product as a very powerful hormone modulator. Common sense would indicate that if a product was sufficiently active enough to endorse as an estrogen modifier to assist in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer, that it MUST have an effect on the generation soy consumers, many of them male and a large percentage of consumers infants on soy based formula.
Challenges: Not having icecream on my pancakes! Hehe! There are just some things worth giving up!
Triumphs: Making the best ever buckwheat pancakes on the Earth Diet! (recipe below)
What I Ate Today:
Breakfast: Buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries!
Lunch: a huge salad with advocado, purple onion with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing! With a side of veggie patties with a tomato basil sauce (recipe below!)
Dinner: a big bowl of oats and half a rockmelon! Dinner choice because I got home at 10pm!
Dessert: bed time
Snacks: cherries and very sweet green grapes
Buckwheat pancakes with strawberries and maple syrup!
2. buckwheat flour
3. almond meal (crushed almonds that has a consistency of flour, or hazelnut meal or oats!)
3. maple syrup or honey
4. agave syrup
6. a pinch of himalayan sea salt
7. cooking oil, olive oil or coconut oil
Directions: (use your human chef beingness to create your own measurements!)
1. Mix buckwheat and almond meal and pinch of salt into a bowl
2. Add water, if you want thick pancakes use less water
3. add agave syrup and make it as sweet as you want it!
4. heat oil in a pan, and pour batter into the pan!
5. when you see bubbles appear on the pancake then flip it over.
6. serve with maple syrup and slices strawberries! mmm mmm!
Recipe for veggie patties with tomato basil sauce!
6. egg plant
9. brown onion
10. oats (optional)
11. Potatoes (optional)
Directions: (remember use your natural human instinct and create your own measurements wooohoooo)
1. Chop garlic, brown onion and ginger finely and put into a bowl
2. Grate all the other vegetables and add oats and mix in a bowl.
3. Add egg so that the mixture is sticky. Mix it.
4. Roll into hamburger patties and fry in olive oil, virgin coconut oil or bake in an oven.
5. Cook on slow heat from the inside out. They are ready when they are golden and crisp on the outside.
6. Serve with homemade egg plant and tomato sauce, or if you eat bread (I am not eating bread as it is not in this Earth Diet) serve it as a hamburger, I used lettuce leaves as a bread alternative!
Ingredients for tomato basil sauce:
2. Tomato paste if you want to use it get organic and no added anythings
3. chopped garlic
4. chopped brown onion
5. fresh basil
1. Fry onion and garlic until golden brown.
2. Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
3. Break fresh basil leaves and add to pot.
4. Add some water if you want a runny consistency.
5. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Serve with your patties! mmmm mmmm mmmm!
Cost: Pancake cost: buckwheat flour $3, strawberries $3, maple syrup $3, almond meal $3, agave syrup bottle $7, total cost for 2 people = $14 so $7 per person!
Exercise: 30 minute gym work out, 15 mins running, 7 mins ab work, 7 mins stretching in the sauna and then I climbed 390 stairs! woooo!
341 days to go!