Liana, have you ever been hypnotized? What are your thoughts on hypnosis? Can you do a blog on it. Thanks - Mark, NZ
In the dictionary Hypnosis is: a mental state or set of attitudes and beliefs usually induced by a procedure known as a hypnotic induction, which is commonly composed of a series of preliminary instructions and suggestions.
American Psychological Association describes hypnosis as a cooperative interaction in which the participants responds to the suggestions of the hypnotist.
According to John Kihlstrom, "The hypnotist does not hypnotize the individual. Rather, the hypnotist serves as a sort of coach or tutor whose job is to help the person become hypnotized"
Experiments by researcher Ernest Hilgard demonstrated how hypnosis can be used to dramatically alter perceptions. After instructing a hypnotized individual to not feel pain in his or her arm, the participant's arm was then placed in ice water. While non-hypnotized individuals had to remove their arm from the water after a few seconds due to the pain, the hypnotized individuals were able to leave their arms in the ice water for several minutes without experiencing pain (psychology.about.com).
Hypnosis has also been clinically proven to provide medical and therapeutic benefits. As I mentioned above my nanna who is 70 years old and has smoked the majority of her life was hypnotized for the first time in January and now she is a non-smoker! It has been used for many things mostly for reducing pain, fear, anxiety and symptoms of dementia.
• Any disease, illness or cancer in the body
• To assist weight loss and reduce overeating and binge eating
• To let go of an addiction like smoking
• To reduce stress
• To let go of limiting and dis-empowering thoughts of fear and live from an abundant mind state
• The treatment of chronic pain conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis
• The treatment and reduction of pain during childbirth
• The reduction of the symptoms of dementia
• Helpful for symptoms of ADHD
• The reduction of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy
• Control of pain during dental procedures
• Elimination or reduction of skin conditions including warts and psoriasis
• Alleviation of symptoms association with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
With love, Liana.