Thoughts: It has been getting so cold here in New York! I am embracing my self for my first real winter with snow! Usually this time of year I am in Australia on the beach every morning with the sun shining bright from 7am! Now I live where the earth is cold this time of year, so I have been experimenting with foods and natural alternative ways to keep our bodies warm when the earth is cold outside.
Warming, comforting winter foods with high nutrients & low calories...
1. Ginger tea.
Boil some water. Cut up some fresh raw ginger into little pieces. Put them in a cup with boiling water. If you feel a burn when you drink it, that is the ginger killing bacteria. No cold or the beginning of a cold will survive with ginger around! Ginger also helps with digestion. (Read more about ginger in my BlogDay 19)
Crush some garlic and swirl it around it your mouth before swallowing. Or if you don't want garlic breath then swallow an entire clove. Raw garlic is a powerful anti-oxidant and antibiotic and it also warms the tummy! (Read more about garlic in my Blog Day 9)
3. Winter Breakfast.
Oats, Peanut Butter and Walnuts! You can also add honey/agave/maple syrup for sweetness (not sugar! And this is why, Blog Day 4) Boil water and cook oats. Once oats are cook swirl through organic peanut butter (no added sugar or salt) and walnuts. Absolutely delicious! And filling and warming :) Great energy food for the body. If you make too much put it in the fridge for tomorrow - it then sets like a cake! I make my own natural organic peanut butter, ingredients: just peanuts! They are available for purchase on the website.
4. Veggie Egg Omelet
If you eat eggs make sure they are free range & organic - Chickens that have been pumped with anti-biotics & hormones provides eggs that provide you with no nutritional value what so ever - the eggs are loaded with chemicals that you then eat. Chop up as many veggies as you like especially chilli! My husband loves capsicum (peppers), onion, garlic, chillies & spinach. Fry these in a pan for a couple of minutes to soften and then add a few eggs. Cook as an omelet, flip and serve :)
Chillies warm your entire body as soon as you eat them so use them in what ever you can while cookies, or in raw salads!
6. Cayenne pepper powder increases body temperature and blood circulation.
7. Traditional herbs and spices such as black pepper, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, fennel, nutmeg, and coriander are the best winter seasonings to warm the body and boost immunity.
8. Try Raw Cinnamon Honey Rolls! A great, healthy, light & warming sweet. Created from cinnamon, honey, cayene pepper, dates, raisins, almonds, flaxseed, vanilla, olive oil and walnuts! Especially cinnamon & cayene pepper alkalizes the body in which no sickness or dis-ease can survive! (Recipe avail free here)
9. It is challenging in winter to keep the body as light as it is in the summer as we naturally want to hibernate and rest in the cold - just like the animals do! I have noticed that I naturally crave warm and cooked foods - whereas in summer it is easier to eat raw foods. So during this winter try these raw alternatives to usually cooked foods - they are high in nutrients and low in calories, delicious and will keep the calories down and immune system strong. Raw Pizza, Raw Tacos, Raw Pumpkin Soup, Raw Lasagana and Raw Donuts. (I have shared all recipes free on The Earth diet website)
10. Rice and beans!
A warm hearty meal loaded with protein and nutrients - energy food :) You can add avocado, or any veggies you want. I share Brazilian, Spanish, Mexican & Jamaican rice and beans on The Earth diet website.
1. Keep your skin moist with coconut oil.
It strengthens the immune system as it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Make sure it is organic & extra virgin. (Available for sale on The Earth diet website)
2. Sweat in the sauna!
There is a valid reason why human beings have used sweat baths for hygienic and health purposes since the Stone Age. It's because sweating has proven its effectiveness in flushing out toxins and disease and maintaining optimal physical as well as mental health. The sauna increases and improves the rate of blood circulation and breathing to keep your body connected & warm.
3. Soak in a hot hot hot epsom salts bath. Run the bath as hot as you can take it, add 1 cup of epsom salts (or more) to the bath and soak in it for at least 10 minutes. If you sweat - great!
4. Bikram yoga & hott yoga
Bikram Yoga requires the room temperature to be between 95 and 105 degrees Farenheit. The idea is that the higher temperatures will help the muscles to loosen more quickly. Experts say that it makes for a “deeper” workout as well. The workout also eliminates toxins and cleanses the body keeping it pure so no un wanted illness an get in ;)
Quotes: There will always be a little voice saying ‘have more, one more, do it again, have another’. It is part of the collected ego. This thought may not go away, and it is not you if you can separate your self from it.
What I Ate Today:
Meal 1: A ginger tea :)
Meal 2: An avocado.
Meal 3: A grapefruit and orange juice.
Meal 4: Lime Salad with Sesame Chicken. Ingredients: Lime, Baby Spinach, Free range organic chicken, honey, fresh rosemary, garlic, olive oil, sesame seeds!
Meal 5: A melon fruit cup! Created from honey dew, kiwi fruit, dragon fruit, mint, papaya and lime!
Meal 6: Brazil Nut Truffle Balls. Created from brazil nuts, coconut, agave syrup, apricots, and vanilla!
Recipe: All recipes will be published in The Earth diet book and are available free on The Earth Diet website www.TheEarthDiet.Org
Exercise: At the farmers markets today! Walking, moving, chatting with people, selling chocolate balls ;)
6 days to go!!!