Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 143


Thoughts: Meet Thor (Michael Lengies)! Sound master! He has worked in over 50 films from humpback whales to polar bears, from the Arctic to Barbados and is the audio director for "The Man In The Maze" and I chatted to him about food, health and hunting...

The conversation started with "So you had a spiritual awakening last night?”, I responded with “What why?”, Thor said “Because you ate chicken”. Yes I ate chicken the night before, beautifully grilled over coals, and I explained how I do eat meat occasionally, however not often as I know I would not kill a chicken, and I believe if I can’t kill it I won’t eat it. Thor being a meat eater said some interesting things and our conversation got onto Thor’s philosophy about eating from the earth.

“I avoid anything that is farmed. The ideal would be to eat wild game.”

Wild Game is anything wild that you can eat etc moose, dear, rabbit, buffalo, elk, partridge.


Why?
“Less fat, no hormones and they eat naturally from the wild. The secret to internal life is to eat the best animal flesh you can get your hands on. In the wild the animals get better exercise, they are healthy. If you eat healthy meat how can you not look and be healthy?”

Thor on hunting...
“The way I see it ethically you hunt what you eat and you eat everything that you kill. You don’t shoot something you don’t need. You don’t shoot for fun.”

“Hunting is part of the circle of life. So many people are anti hunting yet they will eat a big Mac and wear leather shoes. That’s hypocritical. Someone had to kill for it.”

Currently Thor has little time to hunt as he spends a lot of time travelling and working on films around the country. “I only eat fast food if it’s the only choice. Unfortunately I have to choose it too many times. Where I used to live near Montreal in Canada, our grocery store had an option of dear, horse, buffalo, wild boar, emu, ostrich, pheasant, quail. It tasted incredible because the animals had no fat, no hormones because they graze properly.”

“They produce far too much meat from the farms. The human population is so large that I don’t know what choice we have because of the big numbers. And we can’t all go hunting.” Thor is just like the rest of us, working to make money to live in the modern day society and says “Given the choice I would be on an Indian reserve hunting and fishing." A Earth man by nature and a audio director by machine....

“They way they engineer food these days there is a dumbing down, they put hormones and chemicals to make us sheep. It’s hard I find myself not as sharp as I used to be. I’m not preaching that it is true, I’m just saying in order to make an accurate opinion it is a piece of the puzzle.”

Check Thor out.... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2011252/

Challenges: Livestock production leaves a hefty carbon footprint, accounting for 18 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, more than all the world’s cars & SUVs combined. Aside from carbon dioxide, the livestock sector emits 37 percent of global methane, a greenhouse gas far worse than CO2; and 65 percent of nitrous oxide. 2.4 billion tons of livestock-induced CO2 emissions are a result of the deforestation of over 7.4 million acres of trees cut for pastures and feedcrop land each year. This loss of forest means the destruction of billions of trees, each of which had the potential to offset around 1,400 pounds of CO2. According to the FAO report, some 70 percent of previously forested land in the Amazon is used as pasture, and feed crops cover a large part of the remainder.



Triumphs: Personally, I don't believe there is anything wrong with eating meat, however I do believe that the meat consumption by human beings across the globe is selfish and indulgent. Reading these kinds of statistics above show how out of control the meat consumption has gotten and how we are cutting down trees so we can keep it going. Someone has to cut back on meat. That's why I respect vegetarians and vegans. And also hunting for your own food would make for a more sustainable planet.

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast: Beetroot, carrot, celery, ginger juice. 3 neactarines.

Lunch: A pear, avocado and strawberries.

Dinner: Indian food, rice with dahl (cooked lentils)

Dessert: No dessert.

Snacks: No snacks.

Recipe: he recipe for Dahl is on blog Day 103

Exercise: Acting is exercise! Hehe! Working on set all day www.themaninthemaze.net

222 days to go!

2 comments:

  1. I don't beleive in the killing of animals at al but if everyone did it in a more sustainable way as mentioned above. If we only killed what we needed and didn't pump the poor animals full of steroids and cram them into factory farms. I would beleive that it's the circle of life if we were letting the animals live their part of the circle. A barn with thousands of other of your species or stalls with no room to move is not what nature intended for the beautiful creatures that roam the earth. I like Thor's philosophy. I still couldn't eat meat but good on him for being one of the good meat eaters there is so few of them left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully said...perfect...couldn't have been said better ;)

    ReplyDelete